Sunday, September 12, 2010

Netflix Watch Instant: Veronica Mars: Season 1

Veronica Mars was a show far better than it's network. Airing on UPN and its affiliates, it wasn't available to the entire nation when it first aired. UPN was known for its comedies with all African American casts, appealing to a niche market now dominated by Tyler Perry on TBS. Given this, I know not enough people watched the show when it was on air, myself included. I caught the seasons on DVD, after the show was already canceled.

All three seasons are available on Netflix Watch Instant, but with each season consisting of 22 episodes it's a big time commitment.  If you only have time to watch one season, Season 1 is among the best whole seasons of television I've ever watched, up there with 24 Season 1, Chuck Season 2, and Lost Season 1. It follows Veronica Mars, daughter of a P.I. and former star sheriff, as she tries to crack the case of her murdered best friend. Veronica Mars was Kristen Bell's star-making role and it saddens me to see her reduced to one-note movie roles like in When in Rome and You Again. This girl can handle so much more than rom-coms! I hope she comes back to television to tackle some meaty roles worthy of her spunk soon.

5 comments:

  1. After hearing people rave about this show for years, I added all three seasons on Netflix a few months ago, and they're just taking up space. I just can't get through the first season. Maybe it's just not the show I was expecting because I thought it was going to be edgier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica Mars was excellent! I watched all three seasons in the UK on the Living Channel and was really upset that they cancelled it. I had heard rumours that they were going to do a film to tie up all the loose ends but never heard anything else about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Marcos - if the first season doesn't grab you, then you should definitely just take them off the cue. The first season is by far its strongest, with a great overarching mystery of who killed Lily with episodic mysteries as well. This season had the best balance and most important season arc compared to the other 2.

    @Cameron - Kristen Bell is still fighting for a movie to be made! It's just hard to get everyone together since they're all working on different projects nowadays. Plus, I don't know many studios who would turn a show that didn't get that big of numbers in the ratings, that would invest in a movie to continue it. But stranger things have happened. I'd totally watch a VMars movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been continually disappointed to Kristin Bell's movie roles. You're right, she's capable of so much MORE! Just see Veronica Mars. Incredible. (Though I kind of wish I'd never watched the 3rd season.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @HereBeDragons - I actually haven't finished Season 3 yet. I marathoned Seasons 1 and 2, but all the negative comments about Season 3 have left it on my queue untouched. Maybe I'll just delete it...

    ReplyDelete