Monday, October 12, 2009

Tink's new look



It looks like Tinkerbell is finally catching up to the times! Her outfit has always been overly sexy and sexist for a Disney icon. Just look above at the image from Peter Pan (1953) - short skirt and cleavage! In 1953, this flew by without a hitch, but for it to still be the costume in her 2008 DVD movies? If I were a parent, I'd be a little uncomfortable with my kid wanting to dress up as Tinkerbell for Halloween.

I guess somebody at Disney finally got the memo! Check out her new costume below:


Now she looks like a true adventurer! She's cute while staying covered up. I like this new change.

[Found on USA Today]

8 comments:

  1. hmmm I think I'm just already used to the old costume. The new one looks a bit boy-ish?

    *loves*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the old one too. There is no cleavage in that image btw. She's pretty flat chested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just think the old one is sexy for a kids icon. Also, added another image to highlight the cleavage, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, the old outfit is WAY better!

    Besides you don't see Tink's old sexy outfit as an example of female empowerment? She was pretty sassy and liberated to begin with. It's not like Peter had her working in the kitchen. She knew how to be "one of the (lost) boys."
    If you can be feisty and independent WHILE flaunting your sexuality, what's wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could be empowerment, in the same way Sex and the City could be empowerment, but I think it still reverts back to using a woman's sexuality rather than her brains to get her in with the group. Plus, for me it's more an issue of it being a children's icon. I would feel very uncomfortable having kids dress as Tinkerbell for Halloween, for example. But in her new outfit, it's kid appropriate and just more practical in general for the types of stories she's partaking in now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm baiting you, Kristal. ;)
    Besides, isn't the REAL crime forcing Tink to be in poorly-animated direct-to-DVD sequels?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, this is true. Disney direct-to-DVD movies are always sub-par. They need to take a note from Pixar on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the REAL crime is giving her a voice.

    ReplyDelete