Monday, August 10, 2009

G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra

G.I. Joe rose above all expectations this past weekend to make $56.2 million! The buzz before it opened was almost completely negative. The critics weren't invited to preview the movie, which used to be a sure sign of a flop in the making. But, this is summer blockbuster season. And this is the same summer that Transformers 2 broke all the records, despite (maybe because of?) all of the horrible reviews giving it one of the lowest Rotten Tomatoes scores out of recent movies - just 20%!

Well, I contributed to that opening weekend box office, and you know what? I really enjoyed the movie! It wasn't smart, but then again it wasn't trying to be. I think the reason this film worked better than Transformers 2 is because they KNEW they weren't making a great film and just had fun doing it. The explosions were cool, they fighting was exciting, and the plot? Not that bad. It has its holes and definite flaws, but the movie was so entertaining and so bad it was funny at times, that I didn't care. This is the type of movie you need to see at the theater, just to appreciate the scope of its budget. High speed car chases, the Eiffel Tower collapse, and all the bombs REQUIRE a large screen! Watching this on your TV set at home just wouldn't do it justice.

So shell out the money and see it in a nice air conditioned theater this summer. It's so bad, it's awesome. I don't think you'll regret it.

My favorite review of G.I. Joe can be found at i09.com

And here's a funny video about G.I. Joe, found on Funny Or Die:

No comments:

Post a Comment