Tuesday, November 17, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 14


Couple: Ashleigh & Jacob
Dance: Hip Hop
Choreographer: Nappy Tabs
Song: Whatcha Say by Jason Derulo
Wow, that crazy flip. Jacob looks like a hip hop dancer. I loved the routine, just not Ashleigh's facial expressions. She's just too much and overacted the emotion. But otherwise, wow, that was great. Jacob is amazing and has once again proven how versatile he can be, he's definitely a front runner on the show for me.

Couple: Karen & Kevin
Dance: Broadway
Choreographer: Spencer Liff (New Guy)
Song: If My Friends Could See Me Now from Sweet Charity (Christina Applegate)
It was a little slow and didn't have as much personality as I felt it should have. Karen wasn't sexy for once, and I think that really hurt her.

Couple: Noelle & Russell
Dance: Foxtrot
Choreographer: Eddy Simons (?)
Song: Baby You've Got What it Takes by Michael Buble
Cool flip over Russell, but it would have been cooler if they hadn't shown it in the pre-dance video. It looked like they were having fun. This was much improved from his first foxtrot! I'm sure it's a combination of being on the show longer, having a different choreographer, and having his actual partner. Is this really the 2nd most "deadly" dance? I guess with Disco becoming a show stopper with the speed and tricks, something had to take its place.

Couple: Channing & Victor
Dance: Jazz
Choreographer: Tyce D'Orio
Song: Blackbird by Bobby McFerrin
They really needed to get something outside of their comfort zone. I don't think they're really able to show off their talents and versatility. That was a very weird song to see danced too, cool though. I think the only way we'll really see Victor grow they way Nigel talked about is if he gets to do something like Hip Hop, Afro Jazz, or even ballroom. Overall, that was a very good dance and they are talented, but they're at risk of being forgotten by America.

Couple: Kathryn & Legacy
Dance: Paso Doble
Choreographer: Tony Meredith
Song: Pursuit from Ka (Cirque Du Soleil)
Cool beginning with spinning her around. I love the leg drags. I love the death drops in these numbers. I did not think Legacy could pull that off! Actually, I did not think Kathryn could pull off that intensity either. Wow, they both surprised me!

Couple: Elenore & Ryan
Dance: Contemporary
Choreographer: Travis Wall
Song: Your Ex-Lover's Dead Stars
Wow, that was my favorite routine of the night. Great song choice, great use of emotion. Ryan is just so strong, those lifts were so beautiful and graceful. Travis Wall has pulled out another great routine, that is not only my favorite of the night but most likely my favorite of the season so far. This song and routine will be on repeat for me.

Couple: Mollee & Nathan
Dance: Pop Jazz
Choreographer: Lorieanne Gibson
Song: Bad Romance Lady Gaga
The video overhyped it. I really expected more after the video and from Lorieanne since her "Battlefield" routine from last season is among my favorites. I thought it was good, but there were some weird moments that took me out of the routine.

This week had some great routines, some surprises, and a couple routines that I've already forgotten and I think America will too. My predictions for the bottom three:

Karen & Kevin - this routine fell flat. Without Karen's sex appeal, I'm not sure America will vote for them.
Victor & Channing - they danced well, but they are pretty one note so far. And that's not their fault, it's all in the luck of the draw.
Noelle & Russell - The foxtrot was solid, but not a show stopper. They did they best they could with the material, but this is the 2nd "deadliest" and the other routines were pretty solid. The only other routine that could be in the bottom would be Legacy & Kathryn, but their Paso Doble was such a surprise.

I don't know who's going home, it will really depend on the solos. My best guess: Kevin and Channing.

1 comment:

  1. KT checking in once again with my thoughts.

    1. Ashleigh and Jakob- Wow. That was really really good. Definetely my favorite Nappy Tabs number of the season and probably going all the way back to Bleeding Love Season 4. Jakob is a beast he can do anything and Ashleigh is looking great.

    2. Karen and Kevin- I really feel like this was more so the poor choreography then their bad dancing. I thought it was really slow and hard to capture the moment. Tough break

    3. Noelle and Russell- Russell did look much better then last time he did the Fox Trot and Noelle was great. However, while Russell is a stud, the other guys are definetely closing the gap on him imo.

    4.Channing and Vicotr- I feel for Victor. Its not his fault that he hasn't really gotten any versatile dances so far. The one time he did go outside of the jazz/contemporary world, he was in the bottom 4 for Braodway. That does not bode well for him. I literally have no connection with Channing..at all.

    5. Kathry and Legacy- Very impressive ballroom debut by Legacy. Who would have thought that Legacy woulda have been a lock for the top 10 and a threat for the title. And we havent even seen his solo yet!

    6. Elenore and Ryan- My better half and the judges said it all. Fantastic dance and I loved how touched Ryan was about the comment Nigel said about him beign the best Ballroom dancer at contemporary ever on the show.

    7. Mollee and Nathan- Dissapointed here. These two are very talented, and Laurie Anne Gibson does some great work. More Importantly, her work is based on solo dancing with very powerful and brief interactions. And the times the two interacted was not very powerful. No where need Brandon and Jeanine last year. Mite be an unfair comparison, but if these two really are two of the best, it shouldn't be.

    Bottom 3
    Channing and Victor- A quirky dance that I dont think America will appreciate that much. At least i didn't.
    Kevin and Karen- Thier first wrong step of the year. Could turn out to be a fatal one.
    Kathryn and Leagacy- This could be anyone really but whoever it is won't be going home. The top 10 is virutally set right now and someone has to be in the bottom 3.

    I think Channing goes home for sure for the girls. She just has no connection anywhere. For the guys, I really think it might come down to the solos. Ultimately, I'm going to say they go with Kevin to stay. He has shown mroe diversity, again not Victor's fault, but just his break.

    ReplyDelete