Sunday, September 26, 2010

Glow was Lackluster

You know something's wrong when the highlight of your event is the food trucks.

Last night I went to the GLOW event at Santa Monica. It sounded cool and had a lot of press and buzz about it leading up to the event. I'm sure it was a huge success considering how busy the area was - full parking lots, slow traffic, and lots of foot traffic around all the exhibits.

However, the exhibits themselves were a disappointment. I don't know what I expected, but this did not live up to the hype. Many of the exhibits were just screens set up with an original film projected on it. The two I stuck around to watch seemed more like random images and moments, than anything cohesive or with meaning. One was a video of two men playing ball on the beach. The other was a video of clips of dogs projected on a Hot Dog on a Stick shack.

The best exhibit was Muscle Beach Glow - they had acrobats, tightrope walkers, and other stunt type performers dressed in white and neons so they popped under the blacklights they had set up. They had a DJ to liven up the performances, and glow in the dark facepaint so the kids could participate a little as well.

The highlight of the evening was the India Jones truck. I'd never been able to try it before since I never seemed to be able to catch it when it stop on the Westside. I got the butter chicken and pork vindaloo with basmati rice. This truck has been around for a while and I can see why; it was delicious! Just the right amount of spice for what I ordered. I will definitely be ordering from there again.

Overall, I had a fun time but it had little to do with the addition of the GLOW exhibits. The event just served as a reason to hang out with some friends on the beach with beautiful weather and great food. Did anyone else check out GLOW? Did it get better as it got later? I was there for a couple hours at the beginning, maybe many of the exhibits just needed more time to get into the groove.

[For more photos, check out GLOW's Flickr]

No comments:

Post a Comment