Sunday, October 18, 2009

Farewell Mia!


Mia Michaels is leaving So You Think You Can Dance, after she just help pick the Top 20 for Season 6. She tweeted and posted on facebook about her departure before an official statement was released.
On facebook she said, "It's been an amazing five years on 'SYTYCD.' I thank them for all the great memories and movement I have been able to create for the world. Today was my official resignation of the U.S. show and look forward to what's ahead for me."

In an official statement, Nigel said "We are thrilled to have given a talent such as Mia Michaels a platform to create Emmy Award-winning choreography. During the auditions this season she has helped choose the best, most diverse top 20 we have ever had. She knows that she is always welcome to return later this season or next. She’s chosen to move on to new challenges, and we will continue to support her and wish her all the best."
I'm so sad to see her go! She contributed some truly great routines to the show and was an entertaining and intelligent judge. However, I don't think is the last we'll see if Mia in So You Think You Can Dance. I think she'll still work on the show in other countries - she's worked on SYTYCD Canada before, and now there will be a SYTYCD UK. Maybe she just got tired of being stuck in LA for the show.

I'm also curious about the timing of her departure. She left just after the Top 20 were decided, maybe she disagreed with the picks? Maybe her favorites didn't make the cut and she didn't want to work with the rest? I don't think that's the case, but the timing is suspicious. It also could be that she didn't want to dedicate her summer AND fall to the show, leaving little time for other projects. Whatever the reason, I hope she returns to SYTYCD soon!

Check out some of my favorite routines from Mia:

Season 4 Top 16 Group routine:

Twitch/Katee Door routine to "Mercy" by Duffy

Travis/Heidi Bench routine:

Kayla/Kupono Addiction to "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles

[Found on MTV News]

No comments:

Post a Comment