Monday, March 22, 2010

Living a Video Game: Paintballing

Last weekend I had the awesome experience of going paintballing, just outside LA. We had some discount coupons for a whole package for only $40, which covered gun rental, 2 rounds on each of the 6 courses, and 400 pellets. Plus, since we were a large group, we got to do every course on our own, eliminating the risks of getting destroyed by experts on the courses they are far more familiar with. It was a great deal and I wouldn't want to do paintballing any other way!

When we arrived, a few of us were seriously reconsidering doing it. We were surrounded by big men decked out in camouflage, wearing intense vests equipped with ammunition so they could reload quickly on the fields. They were war-ready and we were mere children by comparison. However, once we confirmed that it would be just us on the field at once, it was a lot more fun and a lot less scary.



Hollywood Sports Park, in Bellflower, has great fields to play on. Granted, I don't have any thing to compare it against, but the fields are based on movie sets! We played on "Lunar Wars," based off the set from Starship Troopers, "Korea" based off Apocalypse Now, and a few others that I don't remember what films they were inspired by. We ran through mazes of ancient ruins in "The Forbidden City," used hollowed out wrecked cars as cover, and were covered in paint by the end of it.

It was such a fun day, and a much healthier Saturday than my usual routine of going to the movies. We were at the park for about 5 hours and my arms and legs were sore for days afterwards from all the running, crouching, and lugging that heavy paintball gun around. If you get the chance to go paintballing, I definitely recommend it! It has this stigma of being painful and scary, but after the initial shock of getting hit it only stings for a few seconds. Plus, I'm sure the more you play, the better you get at avoiding the bullets.

2 comments:

  1. Kevin and I went paintballing for the first time together, and that just made me feel old! Lots of 10-year-olds at birthday parties. One ref noticed my high school sweatshirt and asked if I knew some girl, so I asked what year she graduated, and he said she was a junior.

    A few weeks later we went airsofting, and THAT was intense! People were SUPER decked out in camo with armor vests and knee pads and crazy-ass guns -- oh, and it was in a giant warehouse at night. I definitely liked the more recreational aura of paintball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, airsofting sounds scary intense!

    ReplyDelete