Monday, December 14, 2009

Vampire Diaries Marathon: All Week!


Vampire Diaries has been my surprise favorite new show of the season. While Glee and Modern Family are consistently good, I expected them to be great. I did not, however, have much expectations for The Vampire Diaries. Much like everyone else, I thought it was just a cheaply made, thrown together show trying to capitalize on the popularity of the Twilight series. I am not ashamed to admit it, I LOVE this show now.

Written by Kevin Williamson, famous for writing Dawson's Creek and the Scream series. It was because he was writing it that I gave it a shot at all. Again, so glad I did! This show uses the same usual tropes of Vampire Lore, but is still able to keep me surprised. Ian Somerhalder does a great job of playing the evil brother, I believe in his and Stefan's rivalry that is so central to the show. I know this is hard to understand for those who don't watch sci fi/fantasy shows, but the storylines and characters are believable. I understand why the characters behave and react they do, which is more than I can say for some sci fi/fantasy shows. Also, what surprised me most - they aren't afraid to kill off major characters.

I didn't mention Vampire Diaries in my Fall TV Wrap Up (btw, have you check it out yet?) specifically because I think it deserves more than a few sentences. If you haven't given this show a chance, I recommend you watch the marathon this week on The CW. They're rerunning every episode this week, starting tonight 8-10pm.

Not sure what I'm talking about? The CW released this promo for the marathon:



Watch an episode or two and let me know what you think!

Also, check out Vampire Diaries stars answer questions about the show over on Zap2it.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment